-
May 27th, 2006, 10:57 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I picked up a used pair a couple of years ago
and after an abortive attempt to get them to work in my problematic living room, I gave up and moved them to my bedroom where they've lived happily ever after. Hey, I don't care what anybody says, I was amazed at how well these play classical music, and I love their ability to present detail at low volumes. But I have a couple questions. How do you test the overload protection? I know, push the button, but when I do nothing happens, no light, nothing. Do you have to be playing them really loud to get the lights to work? I'm assuming the juice for the overload lights comes from the receiver, so obviously you have to play something, no? Also, I would like to get some new grill cloth. I read in a previous post that Joannes carries something close, any other leads out there? Lastly, what is the purpose of the felt(?) ring that goes around the woofer basket? Thanks from a newbie for your assistance.
-
May 27th, 2006, 11:38 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Hi, as to your first question, I don't know why you are not seeing the light when you are pressing the button on your crossover, you should see it blink when you are playing them at a decent volume, if they are really quiet then you won't see it blink too much.
I got a link from a fine gent on some grill cloth, I havn't purchased any yet so I can't comment on how close it is to the original fabric, but according to the photo of it on the web site, it looks right on.
Just click on this site,,, http://www.acoustonegrillecloth.com/about.htm#
click on to swatches, & scroll back one page on that, & you should see B100 & B200 100 being black & 200 being brown.
Good luck.
-
May 27th, 2006, 11:46 PM
#3
Inactive Member
The only problem with that supplier is they require a min. of 5 yard per order.
-
May 28th, 2006, 12:18 AM
#4
Inactive Member
OK, I just dug out the owners manual & this is what it says about the "Automatic Power Control circuitry"
" Although the circuit requires only an infinitesmal amount of power to operate, it does require a miminum voltage before it will function in the "test" mode (with the press to test button is depressed). Therefore, the system must be recieving at least 7 watts before the overload light will glow in the test mode, & 10 watts into the system is required to provide sufficient voltage for the power controle to be fully operational.
Do not be alarmed if your press-to-test function appears not to work at low signal levels - you simply have not reached the 7 watt input average. When you do, it will probably sound louder than you would expect because of Altec Lancing's traditionally high efficiency. When 7 watts is reached & the test button is depressed, the overload light will pulsate with the music. When 10 watts is reached, you will notice a slight drop in sound level when you press the button. This action simulates what happens during automatic operation. The circuit is automaticly energized when average input power exceeds 75 watts. While this represents a very loud sound level & doesn't happen too often, it does happen, especially with music of great dynamic range.
If the light occasionally comes on, you need take no action. If the light repeatedly comes on or stays on, you must reduce the volume & or the tone control settings on your amplifier.
We have developed "Automatic Power Control" to improve the logevity of what we believe are the finest loudspeakers available anywhere. It is a direct outgrowth of our philosophy of putting the latest technology to work to achieve the finest in sound."
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks